Raw exchange, New York City

A place for fermentation enthusiasts to find others to connect with in real life.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Postby katiez on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 am

Hiya folks,

I'm new to this site, although I've been a follower and appreciator of Sandor Katz for a while now...
I have been living in NYC for a year and a half now, and am constantly dismayed regarding the lack of classes, stores catering to, etc. raw and fermented foods methods, techniques, and tools.
If any of you are in the greater NYC area and would like to share cultures, tutorials, pleasant conversation, that'd be nice.
I'm also wondering if anyone from the NYC area is planning on going to any of the events weekends at the farm. I'd like to carpool, and am thinking specifically of going to the one in April.

Smiles,
Kate
katiez

Re: Raw exchange, New York City

Postby Forest on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry to see that apparently no one here is in the greater NYC area and I am sorry to say that I am not either... I just wanted to say hello because I am new to this site as well, and I thought it was annoying that you didn't have any replies. Also, when you mentioned events weekends, are you talking about The Farm community in Tennessee? I was recently there this past August with two friends while we were on our after-high-school roadtrip. It is really cool there! It's hard for me to express how amazing our experience was there without writing a small novel.

I've got to say: We rolled in there with little notice, only a couple calls to their main office to get directions and to ask about camping etc. The lady there referred us to the Merriwether Lewis Campground 5 miles away, and we were planning to camp there, but while we were exploring the community and swimming at the lake, we met this awesome guy named Hubs who told us where we should camp on the property and told us not to worry about it, he laughed when we told him where we were going to stay. He gave us wild foraged and home-grown mushrooms (chicken of the woods and shitakes) and shared so much with us. Haha in fact I am wearing the tie-dye shirt he gave me at this very moment! Oh the irony of the universe! We did a sweatlodge with him and a few others the day before we left. We happened to be there for the perfect weekend that they were having an event with a few bands playing and we got to help set up the space and go to the event for free. It was just so amazing the spontaneity, synchronicity and love that happened there!

Hubs grew up there and he told us that his mother or somebody who was an original founder first brought tempeh to the US... So a connection to fermentation. What events are they having that you were talking about? I wish you luck in getting down there next month! P.S. You should be ok with marijuana if you are planning to get very personal and casual with people there like we did, there was a lot of smoking going on that week! It was fun. But I'm sure if you are going for a scheduled event it's likely you won't catch a wiff. Just a heads up. But if you do hold the herb in a negative light, just know that the energy there was so wonderful, the drug use was so minuscule in comparison. Blessings,
Forest
Forest

Postby katiez on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks for your response, Forest! That was very sweet, and very informative. It did indeed inspire me. Sounds amazing. Perhaps we shall cross paths there!

~ Kate
katiez

Postby lilll on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 am

Hi Kate,

I was just troubleshooting my last batch of kraut and I saw your post! The lack of info/classes/swaps around here is rather frustrating. It seems like most folks I've met who are interested in fermentation in NYC are attempting to make a business of it and keep their valuable trade secrets. While that is how I got into it - (addiction to one of the $$$ union sq market krauts + losing my job + farm share = crocks of cabbage experiments) I have been searching for folks to swap and share with. As of now I am just doing veggies and kombucha but I want to try more and the farm share starts up again soon so I'll have more free flowing produce than I can deal with!

LIlll
LES/NYC
lilll

Postby billywonka on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey there, I happen to live in New York too :) I'm brand spankin' new to this site and have little experience with fermented foods but am quite the adventurous eater and am eager to learn. I plan to take my baby steps into this with Kefir &/or Kombucha. Anyway i'd love to discuss some of this stuff sometime.

The only courses in NYC having to do with fermentation that I know of are a Kombucha and Beer Brewing courses at the Brooklyn Kitchen, and the cheese cave tours underneath Murray's Cheese.
billywonka

Postby againstgrain on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Moving to NYC in the winter, you guys should let me know if you have any good groups going.
againstgrain

Postby johnadams on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

New user here. I live in Greenpoint and am a novice fermenter. I would love to learn new things. I also am searching for raw milk and kefir grains.
johnadams

Postby relkind on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:52 am

Hi all.
I am in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and would love to meet up with people in NYC to make and experiment with different fermented foods. I am new to this so I cannot provide any expertise but I can offer a sunny kitchen where we can chop and chat.... Let me know if you are interested. I can be reached here as well...www.rachelphoto.com
Best,
Rachel Elkind
relkind

Postby nutribullet on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Most of these posts are over a year old. Did anyone ever respond to you?
nutribullet

Postby asharca on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:07 am

I like it most folks who are interested in fermentation in NYC are attempting to build a business. Moving to NYC in the winter and I am also searching for raw milk and kefir grains. I want to thank to you
actualtests http://www.actualtests.com/
comptia a+ http://www.actualtests.com/study/comptia-a-plus.htm
cisco ccna http://www.actualtests.com/study/cisco-ccna.htm
ccna dumps http://www.actualtests.com/study/ccna-dumps.htm
asharca

Return to Fermentation Connection