Wonder if able to ferment at room temp

A place for fermentation enthusiasts to find others to connect with in real life.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Wonder if able to ferment at room temp

Postby Dave Tan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:32 am

I live at Singapore a very hot and wet area
Dave Tan

Re: Wonder if able to ferment at room temp

Postby baerdric on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 pm

I don't think I have seen any recommendations that allow much higher than 75F (23C). Maybe a cupboard under the sink where the cool water can lower temps a little?
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Wonder if able to ferment at room temp

Postby kelly999* on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Hey, so I am very late on this one, surprised not many answers to this from the experts. I made some sauerkraut in the summer with no air conditioning. It was hot. It works but it goes MUCH faster. You have to really pay attention. It won't be as good as longer fermenting supposedly, but it will be sauerkraut. I checked mine and thought one more week. That's compared to my kraut made in the Fall and one more week killed it with the summer temps. I did have some success making kraut in the summer, but you gotta really keep a close check on it. Maybe put it in the fridge before it's perfect. Better to have mild kraut than no kraut.
Also, you need some extra salt for high temps, but too much salt will stop the fermenting. I think I got all that right.

Kelly
kelly999*

Return to Fermentation Connection