Yeast and yeast nutritiens, lemons

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Yeast and yeast nutritiens, lemons

Postby dandelionwine on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

I am new to the forum but made some wine before.
Many recipes call for special yeasts, I know that you can use natural yeasts, but would bakers yeast help the fermentation?
Second recipes ask for yeast nutrients, what are those - can they be replaced?
When I want to make wine I often do not have lemons at home - what are suitable replacements?
dandelionwine

Re: Yeast and yeast nutritiens, lemons

Postby khoomeizhi on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:55 am

if you culture wild yeasts, adding baking yeast probably won't help (but probably won't hurt). using just baking yeast usually won't get to 'wine-levels' of alcohol.
people sometimes kill baking yeast (boil some for a bit) to use as yeast nutrient for other yeasts. i've heard of folks using raisins and such for nutrients, too.
other acids? i assuming you're not looking to buy powdered acids or such at a home-brew store? many wild ferments have vinegar-makers living in them already. keeping them in an aerobic location for a while can add a bit of acidity (but then i'd want an airlock).
khoomeizhi

Postby dandelionwine on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:11 pm

That's interesting with the yeast nutrients. What are yeast nutrients anyway? I like the raisin idea.
dandelionwine

Postby ampeyro on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I've read somewhere that molasses are used as a nutrient to mass produce yeast, so molasses or brown sugar should work.
ampeyro

Return to Alcohol Ferments