Feeding Vinegar

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Feeding Vinegar

Postby boschmas on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am

Hi all. For years, I've joked that I'm the only home brewer alive who can't get vinegar to start, but I've finally managed to get a malt vinegar batch going with a nice thick kombucha-like mother at the top managing the oxygen transfer.

My question is how often I should feed the mix in order to add new fuel, without overwhelming the colony? At the moment, it's in a one quart mason jar, but I have a one-gallon vinegar pot on order that I hope lets me do a continuous fermentation process. I've seen instructions to add more food every 8-10 days, every few weeks, every few months, or not at all.

Does anybody on the forums make vinegar this way?
boschmas

Re: Feeding Vinegar

Postby taborda on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm not an expert, tried to get a red-wine mother growing and it never happened

but i've done kombucha quite a while and i guess now that you have a scobby it will survive easier... for my kombuch-vinegar i just let a kombucha pot for some months, it's a light vinegar...

i imagine you can add more liquid to try, or carefully put the mother on a large vessel so them you can cut it and make different experiments...
taborda

Return to Alcohol Ferments