Probiotics in alcohol?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Probiotics in alcohol?

Postby pickled pepper on Sat May 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Most of my previous posts have gone unanswered so my hopes aren't high on this. But if anyone knows the answer or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for answers on alcohol and probiotics. I previously read that probiotics cannot survive for long in a highly alcoholic environment. But I'm not sure if that is true. Basically I'd like to find out if there are probiotics in beers/wines and what conditions are needed to keep them?
pickled pepper

Re: Probiotics in alcohol?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon May 04, 2015 7:45 am

I hope you get more knowledgeable answers than mine. I know that the reason alcohol stops being made in beer and wine is because the yeast can no longer thrive in the alcohol that's been created. So I think there must be some significant limitation of the probiotics. But I'd expect some organisms to survive, for at least a while -- and they'd be different ones that you get from kraut and yogurt.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Probiotics in alcohol?

Postby pickled pepper on Mon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Christopher. After digging further, yes it seems to be that if the alcohol is unpasteurised and unfiltered, then the probiotics remain in tact. For how long I'm not sure.
pickled pepper

Return to Alcohol Ferments