ginger beer

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

ginger beer

Postby bubble up on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 pm

does any one know how to make a ginger beer culture?
bubble up

Re: ginger beer

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Very simple...detailed recipe is in Sandor's book or in Fallon's Nourishing Traditions. Sandor's instructions are a little more specific.

But here's the basic recipe: roughly equal parts fresh ginger (grated, chopped or sliced) and sugar (or honey or other source of fermentable sugar) in water. Let stand covered for a few days until it begins to bubble.

The recipe doesn't really have to be precise. Just about any amount of sugar and ginger in water will cause a spontaneous fermentation as long as you don't dump so much sugar in it it takes forever to get going.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby ElDuderotomy on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Tim Hall wrote:]Let stand covered for a few days until it begins to bubble.

Do you mean just to cover it with a cheese cloth?
ElDuderotomy

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah, cheese cloth is the normal lid for a ginger bug.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby icanbenchurcat on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 pm

What is the purpose of this recipe?

Is it just a starter for a ginger ale/ ginger beer recipe?
icanbenchurcat

Postby Tejon on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 pm

That's all I've ever used it for, but I believe I've read in other threads that you can use it as a starter for all kinds of sodas.
Tejon

Postby carridawn on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Brand New here and the ginger recipe got me!! I do not know who "Sandor" is?? but it sounds like I would love this person's book. Any help would be appreciated, already ordering Fallons.

Thanks

Just googled it after this post.......
OK I FEEL SOOOO STUPID!!! Just go ahead and roll your eyes, I still am!!
carridawn

Postby Tim Hall on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Sandor has published a few books. When this was first posted he hadn't published his most recent book The Art of Fermentation. The above-referenced recipe is in Wild Fermentation. Both are excellent books (as is The Revolution will Not Be Microwaved), Wild... is more how-to, recipe-oriented.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby porcupine73 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

So how'd your ginger bug go? I was trying to get mine going but for some reason it didn't start bubbling on its own even though I used organic ginger root without peeling. So then I poured in some kombucha to try to get it going. It started to get a little skin on top (probably from the kombucha) but it still didn't start bubbling.

So as a last resort I sprinkled on Lavlin 1118 champagne yeast. That got it going alright. Then I primed some swingtop bottles with a liquid of sucanat and molasses and racked the liquid into it after bubbling slowed down after about a week.

Oh it tasted great, a great introduction to homebrewing. I've tried a few other batches of things but that ginger drink was the best so far.
porcupine73

Postby Tejon on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:47 pm

For me the key to getting a ginger bug nice and bubbly has been to stir, stir, stir. Pretty much every time I go into the kitchen I stir it vigorously. I've also found that the the wider the mouth of the bowl the more likely I am to get quick activity. Even then it can take 4-5 days, depending on the temp. Did you stir often? What type of a dish did you have it in?
Tejon

Return to Alcohol Ferments