First go at cherry mead

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First go at cherry mead

Postby Unclebourbon on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:37 pm

So I brewed up a batch of cherry mead a few years back. The tree was dying and it was the last good harvest I got from her. So I dubbed it swan song. At the time I was not aware of what amygdalin was.

Now I'm SURE I pitted every cherry by hand, however, I'd like to have some advice regardless. I've read that amygdalin gets broken down with fermentation and either severely reduced it's toxicity, or makes it a non issue. However, like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to hurt myself or anyone else accidentally.

If there was even a handful of pits(which I extremely doubt) in with the brew while fermenting, is it dangerous to drink?

For those who don't know, amygdalin converts to cyanide in your system when digested.

EDIT: This is where I read most of my info

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ag ... /amygdalin
Unclebourbon

Re: First go at cherry mead

Postby irie1029 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Uncle,
Not being a chemist or biologist just a plain old Joe, after reading the article as well as other not so deep dive on several sites... I believe you are just fine. 48 almond pits meat are way way larger than a cherry pit say nothing about the meat. Also, I did not see cherry as a possible problem. I would have no problem sharing your hootch or in fact taking off your hands. :D OOps I forgot to add do a few tastings of one glass per 24 or 48 hours and see how you feel.
irie1029

Return to Alcohol Ferments