Making wine from freshly squeezed lemon/orange?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Making wine from freshly squeezed lemon/orange?

Postby razerivaldi on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Hello everyone! Some time ago I heard about this thing called fruit yeast water where you can basically use any fruits, crush them and top it with water, and the yeast that's present in the fruit skins will thrive, but it made me curious if it's possible to do it with just lemon/orange skins and the juice (no water added) , will the juice be too acidic for the bacteria? Has anyone tried it before? Thanks in advance for answering!
razerivaldi

Re: Making wine from freshly squeezed lemon/orange?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:44 pm

I haven't done it. Hopefully someone will swing by who has, but I did find this: https://winemakermag.com/article/209-citrus-wine

Since wine can be made from citrus and commercial yeast, I have to assume it can be done with wild yeast as well.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby razerivaldi on Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:35 pm

Christopher Weeks wrote:I haven't done it. Hopefully someone will swing by who has, but I did find this: https://winemakermag.com/article/209-citrus-wine

Since wine can be made from citrus and commercial yeast, I have to assume it can be done with wild yeast as well.

Thanks for replying!
I just gave the link a good read, seems pretty useful! It does have additional ingredients in the recipe like enzymes, though I'm not so sure what it does :lol:

I guess the best way to find out is just to give it a shot! I was a bit worried about the acidity killing the yeasts but I'm definitely more confident since people have done it before xD
razerivaldi

Postby Christopher Weeks on Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Yeah, the citric acid was my worry too, but like you, I figure since it's done by someone, you can do it too!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby EastTexasRed on Tue May 23, 2023 7:05 am

My new go-to answer to any question like this is, refer to the wine/mead section in Sandor Katz's book The Art of Fermentation. He goes into the question of wild yeasts vs. added yeasts and his answer would probably be that there are sufficient yeasts on fruit to use in fermentation, although with caveats about types of fruit and time of year (lemons and oranges, for instance develop yeasts in the heat of summer). He says, if I remember correctly, that he only ever uses wild yeasts.
EastTexasRed

Return to Alcohol Ferments