Did I just create a "Mother"??

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Did I just create a "Mother"??

Postby c'sfrutivin on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:54 pm

I just unveiled my 1st fruit vinegar made from peach skins & sugar water. Combined in bowl for about 5 days, removed fruity goo. What remained was a syrupy, but tasty peach colored liquid. Poured into jar, covered with muslin and left at room temp. for about a month. Upon opening there was a thick gelatinous milky white layer about 1/2" thick, with bits of dark matter mixed in. The liquid is no longer syrupy. I pushed the "layer" below the liquid to take a spoonful, tasted great - peach vinegar. I am so proud. Then the layer sunk to the bottom of the jar.

So, is that layer the mother?
Should I leave it or take it out?
Not sure what to do next!
c'sfrutivin

Re: Did I just create a "Mother"??

Postby icanbenchurcat on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 pm

That layer is called Krausen. It is a build-up of proteins and yeast. It normally sinks to the bottom naturally in alcoholic fermentations, but sometimes it doesn't.

You should pour/strain your liquid into another clean container and try to keep all of the solid chunks out of your new container.

You could potentially 'feed' the leftover chunks more sugar/fruit and it will continue growing.
icanbenchurcat

Return to Alcohol Ferments