Question About T'ej

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Question About T'ej

Postby Paper_Nanny on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm

I am on my second fermentation project and I think something may not be going the way it should. I started a batch of t'ej on Saturday- 3 cups honey, 12 cups water in a 3 gallon pottery pickling crock. I have been stirring it several times a day and have it covered with a towel when I am not stirring it. The crock is on the kitchen counter; high temperatures have been in the low to mid 60's during the days, lowest has been 58 at night.

So, here it is Thursday and nothing seems to be happening. No bubbles, no growth on top, no change in taste, nothing!

My first fermentation project was a batch of sauerkraut over the summer. That did what I had expected, though it was a little slower than most of the descriptions I had read.

Husband thinks maybe because we live in a high desert area, there is not such an abundant quantity of natural yeast floating around. Any truth to that notion?

And any ideas about what is going on with my t'ej? I do so want it to turn out well!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to give me.

Deborah aka Paper Nanny
Paper_Nanny

Re: Question About T'ej

Postby Paper_Nanny on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 pm

In doing a bit more reading, I came to a horrible realization. The crock I am using is one that had been given to me by someone who no longer needed it. I have no idea what she had used it for, but I am guessing she used it for pickles and other such things, not for alcohol. Is it possible that the crock is still infected with pickling bacteria and that is preventing my t'ej from fermenting?

If that is the case, is the liquid in the crock now unfermentable? Should I toss it or can I put it in a different container and get it to work?

Along those same lines, the container I used for my sauerkraut is a food grade plastic container. I have washed that by running it through the disherwasher. Is it still infected? If I need to start a new batch of t'ej, can I use that container or should I get a new bucket?

Or is it more likely that the crock has nothing to do with my troubles and I should look further for the culprit?

I don't know the correct term to use for bacteria living in the ceramic or plastic. "Infected" sounds so... disease oriented. Mayhap "inhabited" is a better choice of words?

Deborah
Paper_Nanny

Postby dav6 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am

had the same problem. honey has powerful antimicrobial properties, and is much is higher in fructose than sucrose, which is a harder sugar to get going in my experience. after a few days i simply added some raisins to up the sucrose content. try that
dav6

Postby jane on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:38 am

Deborah--

I live in a high desert area and have similar indoor temperature. I also was frustrated because my honey did not seem to be fermenting. After about 4 days, I threw in some grapes (I have some grape vines in my backyard). A few days later--foam! Just tasted some tonight after 2 weeks of airlock. It's still quite sweet, but is slightly bubbly and mildly alcoholic. It's so cool!

Another thing, yeast needs oxygen so until it foams and you put on the airlock, stir vigorously three times a day. This will also keep mold from forming on the top.

Perhaps try to introduce some yeast by adding grapes or raisins. If you are desperate, you can find a brewing store and add some yeast--that was going to be the next step.
jane

Postby boogaloo on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

My book is at home. Did this recipe come from the book? 3 cups of honey in 12 cups of water seems like a lot to me. Your specific gravity may be too high.
boogaloo

Return to Alcohol Ferments