First Fruit Wine

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First Fruit Wine

Postby Saralexis on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 am

Ive been wanting to get fermenting for a while and today my sister in law gave me a kilogram of defrosted black currants (her freezer is dead!). I need to use them pretty soon and I want to make a wine...so I did some reading around and looked at my wild fermentation book and... I thought I'd start a ginger bug for the yeast... And while it gets going (very quick last time) I have put the black currants in a demijohn with water. This because I read that blackcurrants usually have good yeast on the skins to gt it going (I figure I'll boost it with ginger bug later) and that you should let the yeast use the fruit sugars first, before adding sugar... But I'm clueless really- is this at all sensible. The demijohn was sterile and the water boiled...

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Saralexis
Saralexis

Re: First Fruit Wine

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri May 11, 2012 10:27 am

I don't really know. How's it been going since you did that? Did things pick up with the ginger bug?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby rafaelwinston23 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:33 am

any update?

Last edited by rafaelwinston23 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rafaelwinston23

Postby Tim Hall on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 am

This is probably a little too late, but I know from experience black currant makes a strongly tart wine that needs to be balanced with other fruit juices or the addition of some kind of sugar. Just relying on juice from the black currants (which are pretty low in fermentable sugar as far as fruits go) will probably turn into a drink that put a permanent pucker on you.

For future reference it's generally considered best to start out alcoholic ferments with all the sugar ready to go in the beginning. Adding sugar at different phases can sometimes cause yeasts to produce fusel alcohols that have a "hot" character and can cause nasty hangovers.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby boogaloo on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:16 am

From my experience making Mead, put the fruit in water the night before and drop a campden tablet in there. It doesn't kill the yeast or bacteria but it prevents them from budding. The next day you pour off the water and then add to your must. Then introduced prepared wine yeast.

As wild fermentation goes, I say go for it and let us know what happens.
boogaloo

Return to Alcohol Ferments