juice vinegar

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

juice vinegar

Postby sourapple on Sun May 20, 2012 10:30 pm

I have several jars of ferment working using crabapple juice, white grape juice and purple grape juice. I have experimented without doing much reading and have made some great vinegars. What happens if I add a mother from another to a jar that has not turned to alcohol yet? PS. The first and best vinegar I made was with a dandelion and organic sugar wine. The brew was unattractive for wine but terrific as vinegar.
Thanks, Trish
sourapple

Re: juice vinegar

Postby Tim Hall on Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 pm

You'll probably get something that's very mildly alcoholic and sour at the same time, becoming increasingly sour like kombucha. The yeasts will shut down at a certain acidity level, so it may not reach full alcohol 'potential' depending on how much sugar they have to gobble up.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby sourapple on Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you suggest testing the acidity or just go by taste? Anything to look out for?
sourapple

Postby Tim Hall on Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 pm

I don't think it's necessary to test. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you're suggesting, and I think it'd be an interesting experiment. My suggestion is hypothetical, and besides I'd have to dig through some books to find out what yeasts' tolerance for acetic acid is.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Alcohol Ferments