Help me get a JUN SCOBY!

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Help me get a JUN SCOBY!

Postby HOLLYLALA on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello!

I am seeking a jun scoby. this is good for making potions with honey right? and is similar to kombuch? any info related to making kombucha like elixirs with honey and herbal teas would be so GREATFULLY appreciated! <3 <3 <3
HOLLYLALA

Re: Help me get a JUN SCOBY!

Postby porcupine73 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I don't have a Jun Scoby. I know someone who told me she does have it, I might be able to get one from her. It is talked about briefly in The Art of Fermentation.

I have made kombucha using about 80% honey to 20% sugar. It came out just fine and didn't seem like it hurt the scoby, but I swapped the scoby for a fresh non-honey scoby every few weeks just to be safe. It doesn't taste good right out of the fermenter, but I will say, if you second ferment it in bottles for a couple weeks at room temp, then put it in the refrigerator for nearly a year -- the taste is amazing, very smooth. I discovered only by accident some bottles that were hiding and I was going to dump it, but I tried it first and was very surprised. So I promptly got to brewing with honey again and socking away a few gallon jugs of this honey brew in the fridge.

Herbal teas seem to work fine in kombucha primary ferment PROVIDED they do not contain much oils, and you still keep a good amount of black tea in the mix. I added Roobios to my tea blends, it adds a very nice agreeable flavor.
porcupine73

Postby jennyla10 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm

hollylala,
I have a jun culture (scoby). Contact me at jenniferaron at gmail dot com.
jennyla10
jennyla10

Postby kevalakrsna on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 pm

I have jun culture from forest woman that I have been cultivating extensively for some time now.... bom bom bole nah
kevalakrsna

Postby Unlearning on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 pm

To everybody that has a Jun culture -> Does your culture look like kombucha or is it different? I have one going now but it looks and smells very similar to kombucha.
Unlearning

Postby Marveen on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Unlearning no advice but if you end up overrun and need to get rid of a Jun scoby I will happily take one off your hands (I am in uk) for a donation.

Hope it goes well.
Marveen

Return to Alcohol Ferments