I am looking for a SCOBY - Kombucha withdrawals

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

I am looking for a SCOBY - Kombucha withdrawals

Postby alohatravelers on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Anyone know where I can find a scoby? I have plain kombucha in a jar to see if I can start one....do you think this will work? Ive read you can by one that is freeze dried but that it takes a month to activate. I live in Carlsbad if anyone has one...
alohatravelers

Re: I am looking for a SCOBY - Kombucha withdrawals

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 am

I've started a couple from jars of organic, living, unflavored kombucha. I don't remember exactly what I did, but there's nothing to it, really. Just leave it sitting around or maybe add it to some sweet tea.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby tadpole on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 pm

I bought a jar of GT Kombucha and let it sit in an 8 ounce Mason jar. I never added any tea or sugar to it and had a scobie in less than a week. Other people suggest using a mixture of tea and sugar to feed the scobie as it grows. I will try that next time.
tadpole

Postby passnthru2 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

you can get them on ebay..they are about 4" in diameter..

I started with a bottle commercial Kombucha, I added it to a wide mouth 1/2 gallon mason jar, 6 pac at Ace Hardware reasonable price.
long before it was done I realized i'd have to go "Large".. the jar I used formed a SCOBY and was acidic .. so I started a 2 gallon jar with it. a big glass lid on a glass jar, the far left jar in the photo, in the kitchen utensil isle at Walmart over by the canning jars.

DSCI0474.jpg--small.jpg
my Continuous Culture set up.
DSCI0474.jpg--small.jpg (141.27 KiB) Viewed 4145 times

I got the glass cylinder Continuous Culture jar off Amazon, i'm an amputee, one handed, it was hard to deal with big jars.. this system is really easy and convenient. it's in a small cupboard and I heat it with a little ceramic heater in the winter.. i'm going to box in that shelf with a drop down door to make a work space.
passnthru2

Return to Alcohol Ferments