Gruit Ale Herbs

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Gruit Ale Herbs

Postby BlochBaron on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 am

I've been homebrewing for a few years now, but I just read about Gruit Ale for the first time from the Art of Fermentation, and I'd love to make a batch. But for the life of me I can't locate Wild Rosemary for sale anywhere. Does anyone have an idea where (online) I can purchase this herb or what I can substitute for it? (Yarrow,Sweet Gale, and some of the other herbs I found on Amazon and on Homebrew sites).
Thanks,
Michael
BlochBaron

Re: Gruit Ale Herbs

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am

Gruitale.com may have what you're looking for. Gruit recipes have varied quite a bit by region, depending on what was available. Stephen Harrod Buhner has a cool book, "Sacred and Herbal Healing
Beers," that talks about gruit recipes and dozens of other herbs that have traditionally been used in beer and mead.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: Gruit Ale Herbs

Postby BlochBaron on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

Tim,
I actually found the rarest herbs (including marsh rosemary) on http://wildweeds.com/index.html and the other stuff at Austin Homebrew. Eventually I'll try to figure out what kind of local herbs have similarly helpful properties (I live in the middle east)
Thanks
Michael
BlochBaron

Return to Alcohol Ferments