Mold in my ginger beer?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Mold in my ginger beer?

Postby caraferments on Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 am

This is my first time making ginger beer. Bottled on 4/12 and took it out today. This blob with dark spots was floating in one bottle and another had a blob with a larger black spot floating on the top.
I've looked at some other posts but still not sure if this is undrinkable. Hoping the picture will help anyone responding.
Attachments
Mold on ginger beer.jpg
Is this mold? What should I do?
Mold on ginger beer.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
caraferments

Re: Mold in my ginger beer?

Postby TeeDubYeah on Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 am

Did you clean and sanitize your bottles before bottling? This is super important especially when reusing bottles.

In most situations, a little mold on the top of a ferment is not a big deal. In this case I would be a little concerned because it formed in the bottle.
I'm no expert, but I would dump any bottles with visible patches of mold or questionable fuzzy stuff growing inside.
TeeDubYeah

Postby Prostheta on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 am

Yeah, that looks like a very bad thing. The two batches I have on the go were sterilised by boiling the ingredients and sterilising everything by orbital bombardment. Have you figured out the source of infection?
Prostheta

Postby justineaton on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

That's why I like clear glass bottles for my homebrew, I would dump the ones that had anything visable floating for sure and if the others tasted even a little bit off I would dump them all.
justineaton

Return to Alcohol Ferments