Hi everybody! Newbie with ginger wine on the boil.

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Hi everybody! Newbie with ginger wine on the boil.

Postby Prostheta on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 am

Took some information from a skim read of the board and thought I should register to say thanks. So. Thanks. :-D

Actually, this is my first batch of ginger beer fermented with champagne yeast. Not a wild strain by any stretch I guess. Still. 10l brewing barrel filled with about 1kg ginger root, 6x lemons, 10g Cayenne, 2tbsp powdered Clove, 1tbsp Anise and 2,5kg Dextrose. Seeded the yeast in warm water with a bit of sugar and had bubbling the same evening!

Added about 5-7g Bentonite mixed in a little boiling water to the strained results and moved to a second container to settle out. Samples tasted HOT after about 1wk with the glass taking 2-3 days to settle out a reasonable trub from suspended yeast.

Any comments on the process here? Would be great to develop the method onto greater things! Will feed back in once the second batch develops and this first one clarifies. Thinking of playing with the spice mixes and using actual chillies instead of powdered spice.

Ystävällisin terveisin suomesta/friendly greetings from Finland!
Prostheta

Re: Hi everybody! Newbie with ginger wine on the boil.

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Prostheta, if you like it hot, peppery, you might also like black pepper, grains of paradise, or other members of the Piper genus. These blend really well with other hot/warm spices and ginger. Doesn't take much for it to get pretty pungent though.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Alcohol Ferments