Fermenting Noni Juice: What yeast to use?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting Noni Juice: What yeast to use?

Postby silkreeler on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I would like to know how to safely ferment Noni juice. What yeast should I use? Any pointer on how I should carry the procedure properly?

After couple experiments, I notice there was some noticeable degree of alcohol in the drink. I don't mind the alcohol (if any, I enjoy it, LOL) - I'm just concerned there could be unwanted harmful stuffs like methanol in it. My main intention is to make a Noni health drink, but I don't mind ending up with some nice Noni wine ;)

Meanwhile, a totally sober Noni juice is also a happy alternative :) I just want to perform a safe, happy fermentation.
silkreeler

Re: Fermenting Noni Juice: What yeast to use?

Postby backwoodschemist on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:39 am

Methanol is not a natural product of fermentation. You will only get it if you add it from an external source like using old style automotive antifreeze. But the glycols have displaced methanol from anti-freeze for at least 40 years. (I saw a can once from a lot of material bought at an auction, twenty years ago.)

Any yeast will produce alcohol, but some of the wild yeast produce more or less organic esters which can add strange flavors and smells. Kriek lambic uses a natural wild fermentation process to produce an exceptional beer.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_br ... emans.html

You might produce something undrinkable, but it is unlikely to hurt you.

Recommend that you heat your juice to >140F, cool, add yeast starter, cover and wait. By heating the juice you kill off most of the micro flora so your yeast culture has time to dominate. Heat processing can change the color/taste so you want to use the minimum time and temp required to produce good results. If using canned juice, omit the heating step.

BWC
backwoodschemist

Re: Fermenting Noni Juice: What yeast to use?

Postby silkreeler on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:18 am

Many thanks!! This should be more than enough to get me started experimenting :)
silkreeler

Return to Alcohol Ferments