apple cider vinegar

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: apple cider vinegar

Postby Tim Hall on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Marveen wrote:Why do you need to freeze it and is it ok when it thaws?

(For informational purposes only)

You don't need to freeze it, and ordinarily you wouldn't...alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, so some of the water crystallizes, leaving behind a higher-alcohol liquid. It's called apple jack.

It won't yield the same as heat distillation, because some of the alcohol will remain in solution in the ice, and not all the water will crystallize. Also other dissolved solids, such as sugars, typically won't freeze. So the result is a much more potent flavor.

The method is sometimes referred to as freeze distillation or freeze fractionation, and in principle will work with any alcoholic beverage...but not all things lend themselves to something easily drinkable.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: apple cider vinegar

Postby justineaton on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Although I have made apple jacks, *edit I have freeze fortified not freeze distilled, I usually bump the abv up about 4 our 5 percent as opposed to freeze distilling which can get it up to 40% and is illegal in most states, technically mine is not Apple jacks it is just a cider fermented the way Ice brewed beer is done for a slightly higher gravity and stronger flavor* I was just talking about freezing fresh pressed cider to preserve it without fermenting into alcohol. When we want to drink some cider I just get one out of the freezer the day before to thaw and it tastes like the day I put it in there.
justineaton

Previous

Return to Alcohol Ferments