Mead mother?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Mead mother?

Postby Vickence on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi! I am new to the board. Started a weal mead, which turned out light and refreshing. Bottled too late, I am afraid, and now it's a weak vinegar...but still good tasting somehow. Like a winey kombucha with a hint of honey.

Today I cracked open a bottle, took a swig, and got a mouthful of "mother". Looked like a tiny kombucha mushroom or vingar mother. I assume it's a vinegar mother, but I don't know for sure. Should I be concerned? Is it still safe? It still tastes pretty good.
Vickence

Re: Mead mother?

Postby Vickence on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 pm

That was meant to read a weak mead...
Vickence

Postby WWFSM on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:01 pm

That was meant to read a weak mead...

You don't want to know how much time I just spent looking up 'weal mead' on google. You think one day I would learn to read entire thread before googling.

But anyway, welcome.

I'm pretty new to mead myself, but it sounds like either a vinegar mother or a collection of dead yeast. It is unlikely to harm you if you drink a bit of the mother or dead yeast... if it's just yeast, then it's full of B vits.

Trust your senses, if it smells and tastes good, then strain the mead and drink it. At least that is what I would do. But if there is any off smell or a gagging reflex when you put it in your mouth, reassess it.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby Vickence on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:21 am

LOL! I've done that already! Thanks for your reply!

I drank it, and it seems ok. No bad taste, and I didn't notice any bad side effects afterwards!

Getting ready to start a fresh batch.

Happy fermenting!
Vickence

Return to Alcohol Ferments