Apple cider vinegar mother question

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Apple cider vinegar mother question

Postby justineaton on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:07 pm

It has been about 4 or 5 months now and I checked my vinegar today. It wasn't really strong but it is very tasty and I want to bottle some now. I have two five gallon buckets so I figured I would bottle five gallons and save the other five gallons to let it get stronger. My question is, should I try to break the mother up and add it to the vinegar in the bottles or just siphon out from under it. If I don't bottle the mother, should i add it to the other five gallon bucket? Thanks in advance.
justineaton

Re: Apple cider vinegar mother question

Postby justineaton on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Nevermind, I have decided (at my wife's request) to make red wine vinegar with it. I have a new question now though, after siphoning the vinegar out from under the mother should I just gently pour the red wine on top of the mother and let it float back to the top or do I need to remove it and put it back on top after filling the bucket? My plan is to buy three gallons of cheap read wine and add one gallon of water to dilute it since I have read it needs to be diluted. Is that enough dilution?
justineaton

Postby laripu on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

justineaton wrote:Nevermind, I have decided (at my wife's request) to make red wine vinegar with it. I have a new question now though, after siphoning the vinegar out from under the mother should I just gently pour the red wine on top of the mother and let it float back to the top or do I need to remove it and put it back on top after filling the bucket? My plan is to buy three gallons of cheap read wine and add one gallon of water to dilute it since I have read it needs to be diluted. Is that enough dilution?

The wine is a source of nutrient for the mother, which is a bacteria colony. Diluting the wine means lower alcohol (and alcohol may inhibit the bacterial fermentation).

I would disturb the mother as little as possible, to avoid introducing other micro-organisms. Pour the wine on top of it.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
laripu

Postby justineaton on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am

From what I have been reading while doing my research on it is that you don't want more than 10% abv.
justineaton

Return to Alcohol Ferments