Fermentation and Fruit Flies

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermentation and Fruit Flies

Postby Julie on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:37 am

Hi,
I have been getting further into fermenting this season. I just tasted my gravenstein apple cider vinegar that I made last fall. It is fabulous and delicious.
So, I read somewhere that fruit flies actually aid in the fermetation process. Now, I can't remember what I read and whether I actually read this as it seems rather strange.
Can anyone help?
Also, when I pour off the vinegar mother from the apple cider vinegar about six months ago. (it developed another beautiful one.) I had some wild rose hips infusion. I added a whole bunch of sugar to this and put the vinegar mother in this. I just strained that and it doesn't taste very acidy.
Wondering if anyone has any tips about how to do this.
Peace, Julie
Julie

Re: Fermentation and Fruit Flies

Postby JDEJ on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Not an expert here, but I know from making wine that fruit flies often carry bacteria on their legs that can spoil wine. But one man's spoil may be your boon as the spoilage takes place when the bacteria turn sugar and alcohol, in the wine, into vinegar. Don't know if that helps.
JDEJ

Re: Fermentation and Fruit Flies

Postby Diana on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:45 am

I read in some wine making book - no clue which one any more - that when fruit flies come near your wine most you will get vinegar, so when you are brewing vinegar they shouldn't be a problem.
Exactly as the pp said.
Diana, mom to 4 - Switzerland
Diana

Return to Alcohol Ferments