Kefir & Synbiotics

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir & Synbiotics

Postby alisoncc on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I suspect that many here consume milk Kefir made from milk grains for it's probiotic content, and the health benefits it imparts. I know I do, and have been doing so for over four years. Significant recent research suggests that consuming prebiotics at the same time as your probiotics enhances their passage through to the colon. In the colon they help to sustain your gut biome.

The prebiotics of particular interest are the non-digestable soluble fibres that are fermented by the bacteria in the biome to produce the short chain fatty acids - butyrate, propionate and acetate.

I make my kefir from the best milk I can get - full cream A2, drinking 400 ml of it well fermented daily. To which I add 15gms of raw potato starch and 15gms of Inulin. Combining probiotics and prebiotics is known as synbiotics, giving the benefits from their synergism.

At 75 and on NO prescription medications I seem to be doing pretty well. :)

Alison
PS I work out on a treadmill daily. Just 30 mins of brisk walking.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Re: Kefir & Synbiotics

Postby baerdric on Thu May 02, 2019 5:22 pm

That's probably a thing I need to do, since i don't have an appendix. I do try to get my prebiotics with fermented foods, but I have some potato starch in the house that I could use.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby dri on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 pm

I like to use konjac root which acts as a great thickener as well as providing prebiotic fiber. It allows me to make a great kefir mousse, e.g. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WymzVVPokh4.
dri

Postby Andrewherring on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 am

I currently enjoy mine with porridge - hadn't thought about this before but I imagine there's soluble fibre in oats - so happy accident!
Andrewherring

Return to Dairy Ferments