Collecting the most curd? My first farmer's cheese

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Collecting the most curd? My first farmer's cheese

Postby treefever on Mon May 02, 2011 9:37 am

So I tried my hand at making some farmer's cheese for the first time the other day. The recipe in wild fermentation says to mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar to 1 gallon of milk(I used regular, whole milk) and all the curd that I got out of the curdling milk was about a golf ball shaped amount of cheese.

Making the cheese was successful and it tastes good, but does anyone reccommend other animal milk that might have more milk solids in it to make more cheese with? Or, could I keep adding more vinegar to the gallon of milk that I was using?
treefever

Re: Collecting the most curd? My first farmer's cheese

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm

The one time I followed that recipe, I used one gallon of pasteurized whole milk from the grocery store and got more like a large apple worth of curd. I've only done it the one time, so I don't really have any suggestions, but I think something went wrong. Try it again?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby treefever on Sat May 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Yeah, I am going to give it another shot, my best guess is that it requires more vinegar to curdle the milk so that you can collect more cheese. Thank you!
treefever

Postby AbeCross on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 am

I have only done this once, but are you using pasteurized milk? When I made it (from raw milk) I used less than a whole gallon and got probably two large fists (I don't know any other way to describe it) of some of the most delicious mild farmer's cheese.
AbeCross

Return to Dairy Ferments