Kefir - Provision for potential loss.

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir - Provision for potential loss.

Postby alisoncc on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:04 pm

I've been making Kefir daily for a good six to nine months, and absolutely love it. Drinking half a litre a day, everyday. My daughter who was visiting posed a question. Asking what would I do if the milk grains were to die or cease to work. If they did I would be lost without my daily glass of Kefir. I know there are ways to dry the grains and rescusitate at a later date, but would like to hear how other people make provision for a disaster should it happen.

I regularly cut back my grains as they seem to grow at a phenominal rate, ending up fermenting my milk too quickly sometimes. So I ditch excess grains quite often. Thus they are available if I need to preserve them in some way.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Re: Kefir - Provision for potential loss.

Postby Alphie on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 pm

How did you go with this? I am about to go away for 3 weeks, and a little nervous that I might not come back to the same kefir as when I left. I've done a bit of reading, and it seems like freezing might be the way to go, but I have enough grains at the moment, to try drying as well, I think.
Alphie

Postby alisoncc on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:11 pm

As you will have noticed I didn't get any replies on this topic, Alphie. Like you I would be lost without my daily Kefir "fix". Nevertheless I went ahead and kept some milk grains in the fridge with quite a lot of milk and turned down the temperature. Leaving them for close to three weeks, with no discernible effects.

I had a neighbour keep some in her fridge as well, in case mine blew a fuse whilst away. The other option I canvassed was being able to get some back from friends I had previously given grains to just in case.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby Alphie on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 am

I ended up doing the same - after using my last batch before we went away, I refilled with fresh milk & straight into the fridge (rather than on the bench first), and left it. Came back to it looking pretty much like it would if I had left it out for 18 hrs, so I drained it and topped back up as I usually would. I did throw the kefir out though as it was fair bit tangier than I like. Have made 3 batches since returning, and all seems fine.
Alphie

Return to Dairy Ferments