Eating Kefir Grains

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Eating Kefir Grains

Postby Pam on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Is there actually more benefit to eating the kefir grains that drinking the kefir water?

I ask this because I'm assuming that the grains themselves are/have much more concentrated, beneficial bacteria than the water itself...
Pam

Re: Eating Kefir Grains

Postby alisoncc on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:15 am

Tried, inadvertently, eating a small piece of milk grain that had broken off my main piece when dividing it. It was very very chewy, and not particularly pleasant. Have heard that pets - cats and dogs, love it. But I'll give it a miss.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby Pam on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks alisoncc, I just wondered if I'd be consuming more beneficial bacteria and nutrients by eating the grains themselves rather than drinking the liquid...
Pam

Postby alisoncc on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:03 am

Why would you want to? Love my daily 500ml of kefir.

Alison

alisoncc

Postby Pam on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Wow, 500ml is a lot of kefir - did you build up to this amount gradually or just start drinking that much from the start?

To answer your question I just like drinking pure spring water to be honest... :D
Pam

Postby alisoncc on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:53 pm

500ml is only one US pint, not a huge amount. After all Kefir, whilst highly beneficial is still a food item. Years ago I used to be able to buy a natural goats milk yogurt in one litre tubs, and they would only last me a couple of days. Generally spread my consumption over the morning - half first thing and the rest with lunch.

Gave some grains to my MiL and showed her how to make kefir. After a few months asked how she was doing with it. She replied that she was now up to two tablespoons a day, which I thought was so funny. Quite certain that I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't get my daily kefir fix. :lol:
Alison

alisoncc

Return to Dairy Ferments