First try at yoghurt, a question about temperature

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First try at yoghurt, a question about temperature

Postby bluehorserefuge on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I have allowed my milk to cool down and added two tablespoons of yoghurt.

Am I supposed to leave the vessel open? Cover it with something?

Also, I don't have an incubator, can I leave it in the sun, to reach the very warm temperatures required?

If I am just patient, and allow it to rest at a lower temperature, will it still thicken eventually ?

I am in Nicaraugua so it is pretty warm here , in the daytime.

Thank you.
bluehorserefuge

Re: First try at yoghurt, a question about temperature

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 am

I have only made yogurt with a commercially made device, and mostly my wife manages the process. So, not an expert.

That said, we do it covered. There's not going to be an advantage (for most people) in capturing wild organisms from the air since they're trying to propagate a culture that they want to reproduce. But it might be fun to leave open and see what you get.

Your heat source can't possibly matter. If you can manage the right temperature by leaving it in the sun and warm air, then that's good enough. But it does seem like the yogurt organisms are somewhat finicky and when you don't hold it warm enough, the yogurt might sour but not thicken. And if you let it get too hot, the culture will mostly die off and fail to thrive, leaving room for organisms hostile to your health.

This isn't me trying to dissuade you, just providing some stuff to think about when experimenting. I look forward to hearing what you do work out.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby bluehorserefuge on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks Christopher, it was night time and we left the jar in a pan of deep water on a very low light so the milk warmed up gently, then wrapped it in some jumpers overnight and this morning it has separated into curds and whey. Popped it in the fridge so will see soon what it tastes like and let you know. :) My wife is ultra cautious about bad organisms especially with dairy, she is Russian and they do a lot of fermentation with vegetables, meats etc and dairy (Kefir), and she said every year people die doing things wrong, especially with vodka and samagon , alcohol made at home etc.
bluehorserefuge

Postby bluehorserefuge on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:17 pm

sorry I didn't mean to sound alarmist, it's well known that most of those people who got sick or died were very...very..drunk. :D
bluehorserefuge

Postby bacteriaguy on Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 am

I also live in a very warm area, and during our summers, I can make yogurt by simply mixing a tablespoon of yogurt into a large jar of milk, covering it with lid, and then placing it outside on the back porch in the shade in the morning. When I get back home from work my yogurt is set and ready to refrigerate and enjoy the next morning. Unfortunately, this doesn't work in the winter, so then I use a yogurt maker.
bacteriaguy

Return to Dairy Ferments