Natto "Yogurt"

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Natto "Yogurt"

Postby bacteriaguy on Mon May 29, 2017 9:40 am

Here is a research report which found that you can still get Bacillus subtilis to produce nattokinase even if you skip all the normal steps to make soy bean natto, and rather just make a yogurt with it. It is a lot easier than making natto.

Quote: "Abstract
In this paper, Bacillus subtilis (natto) was incubated to develop a possible functional ingredient in ice cream. A lab-scale culture revealed that incubation in the sterilised milk without dilution and concentration at 37°C for 28 h could obtain ideal growth characteristics of Bacillus subtilis (natto), especially with continuous aeration. Following freezing operation of the cultured milk, survival content of Bacillus subtilis (natto) was at 49–92%, while nattokinase activity was conserved at 62–98% comparing with the initial contents, which indicating a potential for application of natto functional ingredient in frozen milk products

Growth characteristics of Bacillus subtilis (natto) in milk (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... to_in_milk [accessed May 29, 2017]."
bacteriaguy

Re: Natto "Yogurt"

Postby Alps_19 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you for posting this - I've made two batches of Natto Yogurt since I first read your excellent post on the forum about a month ago (before I joined). I'm still not sure how one tells when it's "done".

The process I used was:
1) Sterilize whole milk.
2) Let cool down to luke warm so not too hot to kill natto spores.
3) Add Natto spores.
4) Incubate for about 30 hrs.

For the incubator, I use the "Yogurt" button on my "Instant Pot DUO60 7-in-1" pressure cooker. It has three temperature settings for Yogurt, they are:
1) "Less" setting = 93 -> 95 F (from my measurements)
2) "Normal" setting = 104 -> 108 F (from my measurements)
3) "More" setting = this heats the milk to over 180 F to sterilize, though I've never used it, I prefer boiling it on the stove.

For Natto I use the "Normal" setting which is about 106 F and bubble with a silicone hose and aquarium medium size aqaurium air pump since the article mentioned best results "with continuous aeration". The results were a mildly sweet culture. My hope was that it contains both vitamin K2 and nattokinase enzyme.
Alps_19

Return to Dairy Ferments