Mail me some Milk Kefir?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Mail me some Milk Kefir?

Postby baerdric on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 pm

I've been making water kefir for a few years, but didn't do dairy because I don't really like plain yogurt and I can't have the sugar of fruit additions.

But I just bought some and had it with my fermented blueberries, and did not have a sugar spike.

So I'm, going to the health food store tomorrow anyway and they carry that famous brand name Kefir grains product. But if there's anyone who can mail me a few of their grains I would appreciate it. I like to mix cultures up when I can.

I don't know if there's a DM function I don't see here, but I could post my email address so I could send mailing info.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Mail me some Milk Kefir?

Postby baerdric on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Well, it turns out that my health food store didn't have the grains as I thought. They had water kefir grains, but I have plenty of those. Plus organic milk is nearly $10 a gallon!

Plus, after writing the previous post, the dairy qualities of milk kefir I bought made themselves known to my digestive system, and I suffered greatly.

So, never mind about the grains if you were thinking about it. And thanks anyway. I'll stick to water kefir.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby irie1029 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 am

Sorry to hear. I have very few to spare as I just started a couple months ago. Was it commercial kefir that made you ill? As commercial has way less probiotics and yeasts.
irie1029

Postby baerdric on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Yes, it was health food store commercial, plain, unsweetened, grass fed milk kefir.

A couple of IRL folks I know told me that unless I used homemade "second ferment", raw whole milk kefir, I haven't really tried it. I would love the extra nutrition but it sounds like a lot of effort and expense for the probiotic effect I probably already get with water kefir.

I might try it anyway, maybe next week I'll check out the "Whole Foods" store, or order some grains over Amazon.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby irie1029 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:49 pm

give me four or five weeks and I will be able to spare some. My sister is getting my first spares.
irie1029

Postby baerdric on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:24 pm

I'll be around, thanks for the offer.

I did just look up some suppliers on Amazon, so I will probably get some when I have a full order of other stuff to submit. I still have questions about the sugar content of both dairy and water kefir.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby baerdric on Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm

I just got a very small portion in the mail. Put them right in some organic whole milk, couldn't find any raw milk.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby irie1029 on Fri May 04, 2018 7:29 am

baerdric wrote:I just got a very small portion in the mail. Put them right in some organic whole milk, couldn't find any raw milk.

That will work. BUT be forewarned "organic whole milk could have tilapia and anchovies. https://www.simpletruth.com/products/wh ... h-omega-3/
irie1029

Postby baerdric on Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

Yeah, I read about 20 labels across three stores before I found one I could accept. Just Milk and Vit.D and not UltraPasteurized. No "Artificial hormones" which makes me wonder why they purposely did not say "No Hormones"...

But until I can get back to the health food store, this will have to do. So far it looks like it's working, but the real question I have is, will I get an increase in grains? I know that with water kefir, I always feel at a disadvantage unless I have some extra grains in storage.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Return to Dairy Ferments