Yogurt issue

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Yogurt issue

Postby Craig on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 am

Before realizing I could make my own yogurt, I used to use the Easiyo yogurt sachets and accompanying flask, so I naturally thought that buying some whole milk powder and the Three cultures that are in Easiyo, I would get the same benefits yet better on the wallet. However, I end up just getting runny yogurt. Yogurt non the less but still runny.

My query is that, why is it turning out runny even though I'm replicating the sachets?

I have used a handful of different cultures too, to no effect. :(

I'm also led to believe that powdered milk makes for a thicker, creamier yogurt yet I'm getting runny yogurt with the handful of cultures I've used.

I'd greatly appreciate help on this. :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Craig

Re: Yogurt issue

Postby irie1029 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 am

I am not sure about powder or satchels. In the old days I would use use 2 heaping tablespoons of yogurt to one quart of milk in a ball jar at 90f. I would give it 10 hours or so in a warm water bath 90f or so in a thermos cooler. I always strained to make greek yogurt as i like it super thick.
irie1029

Postby Craig on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks for the responce.

I'm just at a loss at how I can take the Easiyo Greek style sachet, which is 170 grams of whole milk powder and contains Three strains consisting of Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, Streptococcus Thermophilus and Lactobacillus Acidophilus and it gives me a really thick and creamy yogurt so much so, that I wouldn't feel the need to strain the yogurt.

However, when I try to replicate the sachet i.e. 170g of whole milk powder, the same strains and the flask method, it just turns out runny. :shock:
Craig

Postby irie1029 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 am

OK I was really intrigued by this. I looked at the contents and Easiyo contains soy emulsifiers. My guess is when you make a second generation those emulsifiers are very diluted. Also Fage (which I used as starter) has 5 strains. When I replicated it was not runny BUT I incubated so the whey began to separate.
irie1029

Postby Craig on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I think you've missed understood.

When I say replicate, I mean getting a straing that has those Three specific cultures, then add it to the whole milk powder.

What I'm going to do, is get another Easiyo sachet and then add some left over to some whole milk powder and hopefully it should set.
Craig

Return to Dairy Ferments