Cardamom to make Yogurt?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Cardamom to make Yogurt?

Postby Paulzie67 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:09 pm

Hi, I've been venturing down the Yogurt road and have seen that you can make yogurt starter using Just green cardamom seed pods or even Chili peppers? I've even some using Lemon juice or slices. I can see how Lemon would Curdle milk, but is that really a Yogurt Starter? How exactly do Cardamom, Chilis or even lemon make Yogurt starter? Do they really add bacteria? Do they contain L. bulgaricus or S. thermophilus on their surfaces? Is it some other bacteria? I've been searching for days and find Nothing. Does anyone know?
TIA
Paulzie67

Re: Cardamom to make Yogurt?

Postby Paulzie67 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:18 pm

I don't know how accurate it is, but according to ChatGPT, Caramom does not contain Any bacteria to create a starter with. Ant Larvae, pupa, eggs, or soil from their nests Could contain L. bulgaricus and/or S. thermophilus. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee they are going to be found in the ants you use. They also contain quite a diverse Microbial community, but Which types are different from species to species. Same goes for Bees. ChatGPT also stated it could also contain dangerous bacteria and it is not suggested.
It seems many things can Curdle your milk and there will be bacteria with in it, it doesn't mean you've made a Yogurt with L. bulgaricus and/or S. thermophilus.
Probably safer to buy or use a trusted and/or time tested starter.
Paulzie67

Return to Dairy Ferments