adding nutrition to your yogurt

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: adding nutrition to your yogurt

Postby bravebird on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:59 am

lol, im actually looking forward to the natto but i have to buy some in the store first to see how it should taste...and i can also use it for starting my own.
natto yogurt may not be the most appealing though, lol. but if you really want the subtilis...mix the natto with yogurt and some pureed sweet potato, hehe...maybe that will give you super doses of the bacteria. i'd actually do that before adding capsules...i'm still leery about those. i know FOR CERTAIN that putting natto in yogurt will introduce the bacteria into the yogurt. can't say for certain that it will happen with a little pill, despite what it says on the label.
bravebird

Re: adding nutrition to your yogurt

Postby Gutted on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 am

Probiotic capsules do work but they are extremely slow. It has taken about 16 to 24 hours to culture from a capsule in approx 6 floz milk to a fairly solid yoghurt but using about 2 floz of a previous batch of yoghurt in approximately 42/43 floz of milk (7 pots) takes about 3 hours. Therefore which is strongest? A capsule or the 2 floz of yoghurt?

Someone on another forum who did testing for his degree swore that capsules were considerably stronger and had more viable cultures than a yoghurt. His research, which I have seen one supplement maker quote, proves it according to him. I just say that he doesn't know how to make good yoghurt because my testing proves very different.

I don't like the idea of using Natto itself in a yoghurt, maybe a powered starter might be okay.

The slimey stringyness of Natto doesn't appeal to me. However the enzyme Nattokinase is great for the circulatory system.
Gutted

Previous

Return to Dairy Ferments