salvaging yogurt incubated at high temp

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

salvaging yogurt incubated at high temp

Postby bravebird on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:42 pm

ive been making yogurt for ages but for some reason i sorta neglected my most recent batch and it's ruined. :(
it's very yellowish, liquid...not thickened from what i can see.
is there any way i can save it?
anything i can use it for if i cant fix it?
bravebird

Re: salvaging yogurt incubated at high temp

Postby Gutted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 am

It sounds like it has gone past the optimum time period and lots of lactic acid has been produced. That tends to make it much more runny in my experience which is why I try to avoid it.

It's happened to me on a few occasions because I do mine very quickly, it only takes mine about 3 to 4 hours to reach a set yoghurt state and the optimum time is very easy to miss.

The bacterial content will probably lower because the food source has largely run out and many will have died.

I doubt that there is anything wrong with it but it might not taste like your used to and is likely to be a lot more bitter due to the lactic acid. Just give it a try, it's safe.
Gutted

Postby bravebird on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:53 am

i think i'll make yogurt cheese or something...just strain it for a while and save the whey. i'm just pissed!!! lol. that half-gallon of hard to find raw milk cost me 9 bucks :( but there's no way it's going to waste.
bravebird

Postby Gutted on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 pm

If you scoop the lactic acid from the surface, the rest should be fine except for being runnier than it would otherwise be.

I don't think it should need straining. After scooping the lactic acid off, you could keep that for other purposes and then try a bit of the yoghurt to find out what it's texture and consistency is like.

I usually just pour it off from the jars it's made in. Yours sounds a lot larger so pouring it might not be practical.
Gutted

Postby bravebird on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 pm

you were totally right gutted. i did notice that simply pouring off the top layer of whey left behind the curd, which was very much like yogurt, albeit with perhaps a little more liquid. but by the time i figured this out i had already bought a towel to strain my yogurt, lol. so i'm following a recipe i saw on a scandanavian program.
it's basically yogurt cheese. strain it for 24 hours then put it in a brine for 24 hours and then you're able to refrigerate for up to a few weeks. i added some basil and salt to it....will be interesting to see how this turns out. will keep you posted.
meanwhile i'm still angry over this botched yogurt, lol. you live, you learn.
bravebird

Return to Dairy Ferments