best place to buy kefir grains

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

best place to buy kefir grains

Postby justineaton on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:50 pm

I see them on cultures for health for about $17 and it says it will do a quart at a time. I also found some on Amazon for $5 but I wrote to them and asked about how much it was and they said enough for half a cup. Is there anywhere else that you recommend to get them from? I am looking to get some of both types. Water and milk, I have a family of four and we will easily go through a quart of each every couple days plus I would like to experiment with sour cream and cheeses with it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
justineaton

Re: best place to buy kefir grains

Postby WWFSM on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I've had good luck ordering cultures from Wells of Health on etsy. https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/WellsofHealth

Well, I said good luck, but one of the yoghurt cultures didn't grow right away. They helped me troubleshoot it and in the end sent a free replacement. But you have to really pay attention to their instructions for them to honour their guarantee.

They sell both kinds of keefer, but I haven't ordered it from them myself. My friends have though, and they loved it.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby justineaton on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks I bookmarked the page and we'll check it out tonight.
justineaton

Postby WWFSM on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Let us know which source you choose and how it works for you.

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby justineaton on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Will do.
justineaton

Postby justineaton on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 pm

I bought from fusionteas on Amazon. Their milk kefir grains have 120 five star ratings and I had an Amazon credit. I plan on buying the water kefir grains from the link you shared though.
justineaton

Postby justineaton on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I probably should have thought about it before ordering, but will they be ok shipping in this cold weather?
justineaton

Postby justineaton on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Well I got my grains three days ago now and I am happy with them, I am still doing one cup batches until the strength gets up but even the first batch wasn't bad. It was thin and yeasty tasting but I drank it all, I just now drank the second batch and it had very little yeast taste and was thicker. It wasn't a very good consistency with runny milk and globs in it but it tasted great, I'm hoping the consistency of it will be better after a few more batches and I'm going to buy a wooden spoon to stir it at the twelve hour Mark as well so hopefully that will help.
justineaton

Postby rbarreca on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks for the tips, I've just ordered dairy kefir grains from Wells of Health on etsy and will see how it goes.
rbarreca

Postby WWFSM on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 am

Let us know how they work out rbarreca.

Currently Culturing
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments