Kefir - Orange / Pink Colour

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir - Orange / Pink Colour

Postby kefir_14 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 am

Hello,

I have recently got back into making kefir and ordered a new kefir culture/grains.

However the past couple batches I have been getting a slight orange / pink swirl through the cream on the top.

I am using Raw Goats Milk so it is very creamy and the cream tends to float to the top. It has been quite warm and I let it brew for about 24 hours.

I'm wondering whether this is ok or whether I should ditch it and start a fresh batch. It doesn't look mouldy or fuzzy... just a swirl of colour through the cream. I'm guessing it is probably ok but would rather ask and find out!

Here are a couple of photos of it:
Attachments
DSC_6685.jpg
DSC_6685.jpg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
DSC_6684.jpg
DSC_6684.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
kefir_14

Re: Kefir - Orange / Pink Colour

Postby Leanda on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 am

Hi
I'm a novice with making kefir and I've just made a 2nd batch. I've, also, noticed a similar pink patch on the top surface after 12hrs. incubation (we've had very hot weather here). It doesn't smell offensive at all, but I'm still really not sure if this is okay to eat, and since refrigeration the pink is turning to brown where it's separating slightly. I am wondering if it might be due to not mixing the kefir grains into the milk thoroughly, or perhaps even too much.

You mentioned that you are using goats milk. I am using a combination of soy and nut milks which thickened well on both occasions, so it is interesting that we are both experiencing similar colouration.

Cheers
Leanda

Re: Kefir - Orange / Pink Colour

Postby WWFSM on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:20 am

An old post, but I wish someone knew the answer. I get the same sort of thing with my Fil Mjolk and Villy (room temperature yoghurt cultures). Doesn't seem to affect the taste, so I skim it off, but looks weird and I would love to know why and what this colour is.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments