kefir fermentation aerobic or not?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

kefir fermentation aerobic or not?

Postby bravebird on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Ive still to find information giving the preferred method for milk kefir fermenting. Ive been doing it under an airlock but im feeling that it may notbethebest route.
bravebird

Re: kefir fermentation aerobic or not?

Postby CoconutLover on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello,

I've always just covered my milk kefir jar with a dishcloth secured with a rubber band. The woman that I bought the grains from also suggested using this method.

I also did a good amount of research in preparation for getting my grains and I have not heard anyone specifically mention using an airlock.

I hope this helps!
www.yummycoconut.com - Coconut recipes for the coconut lover in you.
CoconutLover

Postby Mollycat79 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:06 am

I put my milk kefir in a rubber seal jar and it still works.
Mollycat79

Postby Algoldor on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi there,

kefir is probiotic culture with up to 30 different microbes in it, around 80-90% are bacteria and 10-20% yeast. Once you have yeast species as part of your culture you need to introduce air=oxygen so they can properly multiply and grow/function. The oxygen role is quite complex and it's importance differs between various yeast species, more info for example about Saccharomyces cerevisiae requirements can be found here

http://morebeer.com/articles/how_yeast_use_oxygen

I ferment my kefir grains without “continuous” access of air (so tightly closed vessel), however I leave around 20-30% of the volume of my fermentation vessel empty which means filled with air. I’m likely to open it once per day or two, specifically to make the yeast happy supplying it at least with a bit of oxygen. It works for me long term, the grains grow well and produce nice and tasty ferment.

I’ve made a small experiment about growing kefir grains and posted some links to the kefir related knowledge here

http://kvasirdiary.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/increase-in-biomass-of-the-kefir-grains-during-their-growth/

Best of luck with your experiments,

Sincerely,

FAA
Algoldor

Return to Dairy Ferments