edamame bean tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

edamame bean tempeh

Postby jackie.g-l on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 am

Hello wild fermentation community :)

I'm new to this, so apologies for my lack of experience - I'm not able to offer much at this stage, but hope to learn and, who knows, I might be able to share experience further down the road....

I would like to make tempeh but it seems impossible to buy hulled soybeans in the UK, and to hull the beans at home seems too much work, so I would like to know whether you can make tempeh from edamame beans which are young soya beans and already shelled......

I've bought fresh edameme beans in our local Tesco, and they were lovely, very soft when cooked, so this might be practical for an amateur tempeh maker....

Has anyone tried using these beans for tempeh? any thoughts on this?

Thank you to anyone reading and considering my question

Kind regards

Jackie
jackie.g-l

Re: edamame bean tempeh

Postby Durand on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 pm

I never made edamame tempeh. But edamame beans still contain the hulls, so you have to remove them as well. Also, are edamame beans not very expensive?
Durand

Re: edamame bean tempeh

Postby bjdmytro on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:42 pm

All of the edamame that I've purchased has still had the hulls. I have not been able to find hulled soybeans anywhere, but I have had good results making split pea tempeh, if you are looking for an easy to make variation. Here in the USA, split peas are easy to find. I prepare them by first rinsing several times, till the water comes out clean. Then I soak for 8 hours and rinse again. Then, steam them for 15 minutes, put them in a bowl with the vinegar, stir and dry them with a hair dryer, and then add my starter culture.

I've also tried split lentils and split mung beans, but those are a bit trickier to steam than split peas, since they are more prone to falling apart.
bjdmytro

Return to Legume Ferments