Tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tempeh

Postby sarakinn on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Any tempeh makers want to share their success cooking tempeh? I went to a class with Sandor and Frank Cook in Asheville, and they cooked up tempeh in a way that was so tasty, but I've made it sense and it hasn't been nearly as exciting. I can get through the fermentation part, but I haven't figured out a good way to cook out the mold but preserve the fresh taste of the fermented beans. If I fry it, it just tastes like generic fried food. So far dry-toasting it in a pan seems to work the best, or maybe baking it...any thoughts?

-Sara Kinney
Asheville, NC
sarakinn

Re: Tempeh

Postby bekah on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Sara,

I went to a class with Sandor in NYC recently, and the stagiaires at the cooking school where it was held marinated the tempeh before sautéing it, with delicious results. The marinade, with amounts adjusted to taste, was: tamari, fresh-squeezed orange juice, ginger juice and fresh-cut garlic. Marinate for a half-hour or more, then sauté. I haven't tried it at home yet because I haven't picked up the culture to make my own tempeh yet. Let me know how it comes out for you!

Bekah
bekah

Postby TheVeggieQueen on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:53 pm

I have been teaching people about eating tempeh for more than 20 years. I have also made tempeh but not for a long time and still remember how much better it tasted than what I buy.

In order to get the best flavor from tempeh, I think that steaming it over boiling water or simmering it in just a small amount of water or broth for a few minutes makes the cake more porous and able to better absorb any marinade. Marinating does make it taste better. You can then add it to stir-fries, bake it, pan-fry it, mix it with other things to make burgers and much more.

I hope that this helps. I have an article on my website about tempeh at http://www.theveggiequeen.com/article3.html.

Jill Nussinow, MS, RD
The Veggie Queen -- Growing Vegetable Enthusiasm
Vegetable, vegetarian, vegan and pressure cooking expert

http://www.theveggiequeen.com
http://www.pressurecookingonline.com

Warm up winter with a pressure cooked meal.
TheVeggieQueen

Postby rivercaneroundbelli on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm

yes marinating is good. sometimes i don't have time though and just let it get yummy in the pan (cast iron preferred).

i love annie's bbq sauce (earthfare has some good store-brands too). i put some coconut oil in the pan, then start to fry the tempeh a bit, then poor some bbq sauce on and turn down the heat. it's one of the few dishes that i eat white rice with. love it.

haven't made it from scratch yet but it's on my list (making my first batch of natto now:))

thanks for fermenting!

lynn in southern appalachians
rivercaneroundbelli

Return to Legume Ferments