No black spots on my tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

No black spots on my tempeh

Postby Reece on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:20 pm

My tempeh has been growing for a little over 3 days, and seems to be doing well. The white mold has filled the bag it is in, and it looks like tempeh looks in pictures. It has a pleasant smell, which I have read about. The issue is that it has been this way for a bit and no black spots have appeared. I am using a mixture of beans, but not soy beans. Anyone have any ideas why this is?
Thanks.
Reece

Re: No black spots on my tempeh

Postby sarakinn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Reece,

My guess is that the temperature is probably a bit cooler than it needs to be. That seems to be the biggest factor in how long it takes for the tempeh to mature. I bet it's okay to try it even if the mold isn't black, and it might keep longer in the fridge when you're done too. Also, I've made tempeh in a pan, and even though the top side was white, the bottom was black because it held in more heat.

How did it come out in the end? Do you recommend the Book of Tempeh?

-Sara
sarakinn

Re: No black spots on my tempeh

Postby Reece on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Sara,
Thanks for the reply. I did end up trying it even without the black spots of spores, and it was fine. It wasn't around long enough for me to see if it lasts longer in the fridge, though. Good to know about the temperature, though, I should probably be more careful about that.
I highly recommend The Book of Tempeh. It's really easy to make tempeh from old tempeh, so far (I'm in my fourth generation, I think), and the book in general was full of practical and interesting information. There is a Book of Miso by the same author which I am waiting to get my hands on.

Reecec
Reece

Return to Legume Ferments