Making Koji

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Making Koji

Postby Reece on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 pm

I just purchased some koji. does anyone know if I can use it to infect more rice so I don't need to purchase it every time?
Reece

Re: Making Koji

Postby miltonics on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been wondering the same thing... From what I understand the mold spores that you infect the rice with are green, which is not the case when you purchase koji.

I suspect that there is a step in between the koji that you purchase and the green mold. Since I have some in the fridge, I might pull some out and incubate it to see what happens.
miltonics

Postby Lagusta on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Hello! Unless I am mistaken, you need to first make or buy spore before you can make koji. I get mine from Gem Cultures.
Lagusta

Postby megmaine on Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 pm

miltonics wrote:I've been wondering the same thing... From what I understand the mold spores that you infect the rice with are green, which is not the case when you purchase koji.

I suspect that there is a step in between the koji that you purchase and the green mold. Since I have some in the fridge, I might pull some out and incubate it to see what happens.

And let's also remember that there are different types of koji that are different in color and use. Yellow koji, black koji, and most recently, white koji, and each thrives in different conditions and has its own characteristics. I just read on this and was fascinated.
megmaine

Return to Legume Ferments