tempeh starter

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: tempeh starter

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:14 am

I found some on ebay for ragi and this one....r they safe????

http://www.tempeh.info/starter/tempeh-starter.php

tia
A
Aliyanna

Postby Tibor on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Alliyana, I have had the poorest results with Tempeh.info starter. My best results were with Gem Cultures but they are out of stock, yet again. Getting starter from The Farm (The Tempeh Lab) is impossible. They are buried in fulfilling orders for tempeh makers and have no time for tiny orders. Cultures for Health has good starter that comes in packets that you can put in your freezer if you want long term storage. If you want to sporulate your own starter, Gem spores are the only ones that have worked for me. Hope that helps.
Tibor

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:20 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tempeh-Starter- ... 4ac6f031cb

Thanks Tibor....here is the other I found.....I always root around ebay to find things....but am so new to this....don't know how to evaluate to see if it is a good or bad thing for my family. Am assuming that if it is in the food stage that it will sporalate?? Am I wrong????

TIA
Aliyanna
Aliyanna

Postby Tibor on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm

The think the picture is of the finished product. I've not heard of Ragi tempeh .You would be getting 25 grams of starter to make your own. Can't say what medium the spores are mixed with, so I'm not sure how many pounds of tempeh that would make. There are unknowns....it would be a gamble....but I can't say. I do know that Culture for Health spore makes perfect tempeh every time.
Tibor

Postby Aliyanna on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the starter for tempeh and natto from Cultures for health. Some of my family are pretty fragile..so I won't take any chances more than I have to.

Tibor, I am gonna make garbanzo tempeh and natto. You wanna come hold my hand... I have never done either....but my family needs b12 and K2 and this is the best way to get it that I have read about.... I also bought the Book of Tempeh. I am hoping that will help me some to get into the swing of it. Right now we are doing b12 injections and are very low on k2. So am hoping I can conquer this!!!

Thanks for all your help Tibor, I appreciate it a lot!!! Most kind of you.

Aliyanna
Aliyanna

Postby Tibor on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 am

Ah yes, The Book of Tempeh will definitely get you in the swing of things. Tons of recipes too. There is a learning curve in the beginning of tempeh making but I'm sure you will do fine and get the hang of it. Garbanzo with toasted sesame seeds is one of my favorites. The directions for adding toasted sesame is under the heading Sesame and Soy Tempeh (page 112) Also Black Eye Pea tempeh is fantastic and super quick prep. Tim Hall suggested I get the book back in January and it sure got me going. I'm glad to help any time. Good luck !
Tibor

Previous

Return to Legume Ferments