Tempeh in Dehydrator without DRYING OUT

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tempeh in Dehydrator without DRYING OUT

Postby Ivy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 pm

How do you incubate tempeh in the dehydrator without drying it out?

I have an Excalibur dehydrator (cube shape). I placed the tempeh in a ziplock bag with holes punched every 1/2" with an awl. The holes are about 1-2 mm.

I have a thermometer in the beans that reads a consistent 88°F. Air temp has been consistent at 90-92°F.

I have a cup of water on the floor of the dehydrator to try to increase humidity.

It's been 20 hours, and I see no mycelium growing, so I am wondering if the beans have dried out too much. Thank you!
Ivy

Re: Tempeh in Dehydrator without DRYING OUT

Postby Tibor on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:10 am

To make tempeh you want the 88' but maintaining moisture is critical. I suppose if you disconnect the fan you may have a chance. I've never used such a setup. Also the drying process after you cook/soak the beans before inoculating is critical. Look back in the older posts on this subject for ideas.
Tibor

Postby Ivy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks Tibor!

After 24 hrs in the dehydrator I had no sign of mycelium on the beans & there was no condensation inside the ziplock bag, so I moved it to a new set up: I placed the beans on a wire cooling rack that stands 3.5" above a seedling heat mat, with a cup of water sitting on the heat. I covered with 3 linen towels to insulate. Condensation inside the bag started very quickly. Seven hours after moving to this new set up (33 hrs after incubation started) the inside of the bag has a lot of condensation & white mycelium finally has started to grow!
Ivy

Postby Tibor on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:49 am

Try skipping the water with your new setup when you make your next batch. Too much moisture can also be a problem. I'm leery about using plastic in any application. I use pyrex bread pans with a reusable perforated top made out of heavy aluminum trays from a party store . 2 mm holes 3/4 inch apart.
Tibor

Postby Ivy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 am

Thanks, Tibor! That sounds great! Thanks for the advice about not putting a cup of water on the seedling heat mat. I wonder if it makes a difference that I live in a dry, cold climate, or if it is not helpful in any case?

I agree about the plastic! My first attempt at tempeh was in a 9x14 glass shallow baking dish with a tin foil cover with fork holes, but I didn't have anything to cover it with for my second attempt, so I thought I would try the ziplock method.

I like your set up! Are the heavy aluminum trays the kind that are somewhat flexible, and can be perforated with an awl?
Ivy

Postby Tibor on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes, the aluminum trays are flexible. I drilled the holes and made it smooth so that I could wash it without tearing up the sponge. I also folded down the sides 1/4 inch so it stays on snug. I like the glass bread pans because I could see what is going on without having to take the lid off and my incubator has a glass door so I don't have to even open it to check on it.
Tibor

Return to Legume Ferments