Simplest way to ferment beans??

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Simplest way to ferment beans??

Postby jawnn on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:54 pm

I used to make tempeh and meso, but I live off grid now. so I need to find another way to ferment beans with out much sodium. Is that even possible?

My goal is to make soysage that is not full of phytates, or at least have them nutralized.

I can't stand the odor of Natto. a frend that spent time in china said he could smell it down the street. well it takes heat to ferment also.

I may need to use hot water bottles and a smaller cooler box.
jawnn

Re: Simplest way to ferment beans??

Postby jawnn on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm

I found an article about soaking beans with a bit of sour liquid like water with buttermilk, yogurt or lemon juice. So all I had was vinegar. But they also say that some beans are better soaked in a slightly alkaline solution rather than an acid one.

For beans they say to change the water after a day and soak again maybe changing the water keeps the bad smelling bacteria low?

So I am wondering if this is better than just sprouting the beans. Not that I want to sprout them until there are leaves.
jawnn

Postby khoomeizhi on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:35 pm

going in a dosa- or idli-direction may be one of the easiest ways. i assume it can be done with mostly legumes instead of a higher ratio of grain.
khoomeizhi

Postby khoomeizhi on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 pm

oh. i just re-read your first post. making batter may not help on a hunt to make sausage.
khoomeizhi

Postby jawnn on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 pm

I soaked the beans for two days and then did the sprouting thing for another day until they showed signs of actually sprouting, and finally cooked them in my pressure cooker. It took less fuel. And gave me less intestinal gas.

I remember reading a book long ago by a miner that would soak his flour by pouring water into the bag of flour, and taking what was wet to make bread the next day.
jawnn

Postby 2BetterHlth on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 am

Why not, look into Whey protein.
A good supply of raw grass fed milk.
Some cheese rennet perhaps, or lemon juice..
Make Curds and whey........ use whey as your starter.
Enjoy some cheese.
2BetterHlth

Postby bacteriaguy on Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I know this person doesn't like the smell of natto, but it is the simplest way to férment beans. Soy beans are the stinkiest ones. Garbanzos are the least stinky.
bacteriaguy

Return to Legume Ferments