Natto failed!

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Natto failed!

Postby veneficasarda on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 am

Hi everyone, I write from Italy. I'm a biologist and recently, due to health issues, I'm deepening my knowledge about fermented foods. I tried to make Natto at home, with the starters purchased from

http://www.tempehstarter.com/

However 2 out of 2 attempt have failed. The natto does not run ...
I dipped the beans, steamed, melted the spores at 80 degrees, set the chamber at 40 for 24 hours. The temperature has risen a lot but at the end of the 24 hours the filaments were just outlined. I used 0.1 grams of spores as well for 500 grams of beans. Where could the error be? I need to get the Natto for my health and I would be grateful for any suggestion or advice. Thank you.

Silvia.
veneficasarda

Re: Natto failed!

Postby cerbu on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 am

I write what I observed : beans need to be boiled really well, just before mushy, quickly drained ( not to drop the temperature too much), sprinkle the spores directly over the hot beans, mixed ,than added 2-3 tbs of their liquid (all this while still in the pot in which it boiled), transfer to fermenting bowl covered in paper ,cool to ~40-50 C ,put the fermenters probe near the beans ,not inside the bowl
cerbu

Postby veneficasarda on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks cerbu, I use this device to ferment Natto:
https://brodandtaylor.com/shop/#proofer

What temperature should I set? And for how long? Where can I buy safe Natto starters, pure spores of Bacillus subtilis? I also wanted to ask you if the aluminum cover with the holes to breathe works the same.
Thanks again.
veneficasarda

Postby cerbu on Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:42 pm

set 40 C but put a thermometer inside the proofer just to check without opening, about 37-43 C , 24 hours . Most of the spores are good, the little bottle with green cap (3 g ) should do. Use minimum amount of spores , even less than 0.1 g. Foil might work, but be sure to use paper towel underneath to limit drips from condensation, that 'rain' can ruin a batch, a inverted saucer( the dome shape helps) over the paper is better
cerbu

Postby Durgan on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm

I started my fermentation making Natto. I got the spores from Japan.My success rate was poor and I was not a happy traveler.

Then two years ago I was introduced to TEMPEH. Spores were ordered from Indonesia and the experimentation commenced. I now make either soy or chickpea perfect tempeh about every week 500 ml at a crack. I never have a failure and have posted on this forum. I have a new batch coming out of the fermenter today.

My son in law is Japanese and he visits me yearly with family. I introduced him to tempeh. He was so impressed that he has switched from Natto to tempeh.

They are both fermented but tempeh is a perfect process with no complications as encountered with natto.

What I am saying is switch to tempeh.
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby nmidler on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi,
I bought natto spores from this company:
https://nattomoto.co.jp/
the website culturesforhealth.com also has this company's product for sale if you're in the US and don't want to hassle with buying from Japan.

My first couple attempts at natto were a disaster.

THEN, I made natto exactly as this video suggests and it has turned out amazing every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3giTpXrh8

To make sure that the temperature of everything is not too high or low I bought a laser thermometer, and it makes everything so much easier, because no more guessing whether temperature is in the right range.
nmidler

Postby nmidler on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I went back and watched the youtube video about making natto, and I realized i don't follow it exactly.
What i do do though that has worked really well is from 5:08 into the video until 5:50, the part about how he wraps and prepares the cooked soybeans before putting in the dehydrator.

Unlike the video i use natto spores, not a starter. I also use a dehydrator, not a makeshift dehydrator in an oven.

Good luck!
nmidler

Postby veneficasarda on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi nmidler !! I am in Italy, and unfortunately cultureforhealth.com does not ship to Europe! What would be the temperature too high? Could I use a cotton cloth to cover the beans and allow breathing? Thank you!
veneficasarda

Postby cerbu on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:40 am

cerbu

Postby veneficasarda on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:13 am

Dissolve spores in water or mix them with hot beans? Add cooking water to the beans?
veneficasarda

Next

Return to Legume Ferments