Natto failed!

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Natto failed!

Postby cerbu on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:18 am

you can do either, but use hot( cooking) water, heat helps hatching the spores better. Yes, add a little cooking water if you don't dilute the spores. Most important things with natto I wrote in the first post. Belgian spores are easy to use , a pinch(about 1 g) a kilo
cerbu

Re: Natto failed!

Postby nmidler on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi veneficasarda,
Temperature does seem to matter. If the temperature is too high, I've read that the natto spores will not survive. So, it may be worth trying to lower the temperature if you are concerned. Also, if you haven't already, you will want to make sure the cooked soybeans have cooled to 40 degrees before adding the spores. Basically, make sure the temperatures never rise above 40 degrees or so when the spores are present.

I like the idea of using a cotton cloth, since it would eliminate the need for using plastic wrap. I'm curious if that works well for you. However, I will say I don't think the natto needs to breathe a lot. I say that because I have been covering my glass container with a second layer of plastic wrap that completely seals the container. I do that, because I'm concerned that the dehydrator will dry out the beans.

Regarding your question on dissolving spores first versus just adding them to the cooked beans, I suggest dissolving first. I use filtered water that has been boiled, and then cooled to 40 degrees to mix the spores. I use no more than 10 ml of water, a very little amount. Then when the soybeans are cooled sufficiently, i mix the water/spores into the beans. And I gently stir it about 2-3 times more than is probably necessary to make absolutely sure that the spores are spread throughout the beans.

Regarding whether to add cooking water. After cooking I drain the beans. I then only add the tiny amount water with the dissolved spores. There is no need for the soybeans to be more we than that. If you use the cooking water to dissolve the spores, I don't see why that would be an issue. I like to use filtered water though, because it makes cleaning my container easier.

hope this all helps you, good luck!!
nmidler

Previous

Return to Legume Ferments