Question about bongkrek acid posioning from tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Question about bongkrek acid posioning from tempeh

Postby anonymir on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:13 am

I want to make my own starter by grinding dry sporulated tempeh pieces. However, there are some tiny specks of ground sesame in my grinder. Sesame is fatty

I have heard that a bacteria that produces a fatal toxin - bongkrek acid - can thrive in coconut tempeh due to its high fat. Does this happen *because* of the rhizopus mold or is it unrelated? Because i am worried if i grind spores and they touch the sesame stains, this will somehow promote the growth of these deadly bacteria.

I can't clean every nook and cranny because there are specks of sesame in the lid of the grinder and under the blade. Will I die if i grind spores and they touch the sesame and i make tempeh from them and eat it?
anonymir

Re: Question about bongkrek acid posioning from tempeh

Postby ArthurDent004 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:06 pm

This question seems oddly familiar. Have you consulted with your family doctor on this matter? Since you can't detect this poison yourself perhaps your doctor can point you to a testing lab that can verify that your equipment is free of this poison. You could even submit samples of the food you made just to make it's safe before you eat it. Your doctor could even help you research more about this poison so you know how it's produced and what to avoid in the future.

Have a great day.
ArthurDent004

Re: Question about bongkrek acid posioning from tempeh

Postby cerbu on Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 pm

do not worry about the traces,too small to matter
cerbu

Return to Legume Ferments