miso-damari (tamari)

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

miso-damari (tamari)

Postby jennyg. on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 am

Folks... just harvested 1 year red bean miso today. There was a fair amount of mold on the surface. While we tried to be gentle while removing the mold we ended up with quite a bit of small moldy bits in the tamari-ish liquid (miso-damari) that was on top of the miso and the plate with weight. I read in the Book of Miso that the surface mold is harmless, but I wonder if there is a point at which it might become not so good for human consumption? I was thinking of just straining it and calling it good, but one of my miso-making buddies (who is a nurse with a kid in the household) is not convinced, and so we did not mix the excess liquid in to the miso we harvested. Any thoughts out there?
Thanks!
jennyg.

Re: miso-damari (tamari)

Postby WWFSM on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 pm

What did you decide in the end? I've been wondering about this too. I have several family members who are nurses, and it's amazing how much they talk about never eating anything that has been near mould - while they are eating a lovely platter of blue cheeses. Once I was old enough to learn that blue cheese was (let's face it) mouldy cheese, I started to do my own research about what is safe to eat.

I suspect that since one of the main ingredients in miso is a mould, you could expect some of that to grow on the surface of the vat...But building up the courage to strain and eat it, that would be difficult for me. But, like my relatives, I do eat blue cheese...so...

Does the Book of Miso talk about different colours of mould that may form on top of the vat and if some colours are okay and others not? Does the Koji mould create an environment that excludes other mould from getting in on the action? Can anyone tell us more?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Legume Ferments