Bottled Shoyu Koji

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Bottled Shoyu Koji

Postby jasa73 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:04 pm

So i have my cultures from GEM to make shoyu. I was at the korean store this morning and found bottled shoyu koji as a condimentin the refrigerated section. Im wondering if i could add this to my koji to help it along? Thoughts?
jasa73

Re: Bottled Shoyu Koji

Postby WWFSM on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I know I'm a bit late to this conversation, but seeing that no one else has answered your question, I thought I could give it a go.

I think you are talking about Shio Koji (as in salt koji), which is a marinade made from rice, koji spores and salt. It has a milky looking, lumpy pudding consistency with a slightly yellow or blue tone to it. Here is an article about it in Japan Times http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2012/02/24/life/kji-japans-vital-hidden-ingredient/#.Ulgtb1CTgpk.

It is quite possibly my most favourite condiment of all time. You can use it to quick pickle vegi, or marinade meat and fish. It's salty and sweet at the same time and has a great many health claims, including the ability to pre-digest some of the more difficult meat proteins and reduce a game-y taste to red meat.

Shio koji is expensive to buy, but super-easy to make if you can get/make koji rice. The article I linked to above has instructions.

However, the salt does something to change the koji spores in shio koji, so I don't know if it would be possible to use it as a starter culture. Probably not, but I would love to be proven wrong.

If you are talking about actual Shoyu (soy) koji, which is a brown, or milky brown paste, please forgive the above ramblings. This is made in a similar way to shio koji, however instead, a great deal of the salt and water (often all) is replaced with soy sauce. I haven't had this for many years, but if I remember correctly, I found it cloyingly sweet.

I don't think it would be useful to use Shoyu koji as a starter for the same reason as I stated above. The salt in the soy sauce inhibits and changes the way the koji mould grows.

Did you ever buy some? How did you find it?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Legume Ferments