natto?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

natto?

Postby fermentfun on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Does anyone make natto?
fermentfun

Re: natto?

Postby sandorkraut on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm

yes. natto is pretty easy. i get starter ("natto-moto") from gem cultures, www.gemcultures.com. the starter comes with comprehensive directions. briefly:
1. soak and cook beans until soft;
2. drain liquid and cool to body temperature;
3. stir in starter, diluted in flour, and mix well to spread evenly;
4. cover to retain moisture and incubate around 100 degrees F for 6-12 hours; flavor, aroma, and texture will develop over time.
5. enjoy natto plain, in nori rolls, or with veggies and a dressing as a salad.
sandorkraut

Postby Bunny Speakman on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:30 am

What is natto?
Bunny Speakman

Postby unapetunia on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Any recommendations on which soybeans to use and where to get them? I notice it's traditionally made with really small beans...are those even available here in the US (organic, of course)?
unapetunia

Postby rivercaneroundbelli on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:37 pm

I just started eating natto though have known about it for sometime and have the spores ready for me to make it myself. I've been fermenting for 6+ years, mostly krauts, kimchis (krautchis!) though love it all. Found out about natto in my search for healthy treatments for uterine fibroids (leiomyomas, noncancerous uterine growths that effect up to 80% of women; 200,000 hysterectomies a year, many considered medically unnecessary) because there are some really expensive supplements out there that have 'nattokinase'. I started thinking well, can't I just make it?

Some questions:

1. Anybody have any experience or ideas dehydrating natto (at low temps under 115 or not?). I've been thinking that this might be a way of preserving it without having to freeze.
2. The instructions I've read all say to refrigerate for a week or less; otherwise, freeze. I don't want to refrigerate or freeze if at all possible. Any experience out there with other methods of storage? (This from someone who ate some chunky pear sauce this morning, from a fall 2008 batch that was cooked overnite and put in a quart jar. The jar has been in a box (unrefrigerated, though exposed to all kinds of weather over the winter). The lid was a little funky but the smell was reasonable, and taste test just a little zingy which I assumed was alcohol. I had a serving with my porridge and seem to have survived/maybe thrived! The pears had kind of made a ball in the jar, there was juice but it didn't cover so probably half were exposed to the air in the jar. I am constantly fascinated, amazed and inspired by the fermentation geniuses!)
3. Anybody out there used natto for shrinking fibroids? Or for blood pressure or other cardiovascular issues? Or other health issues? Would love to hear about your process. Not sure if it's appropriate here or offlist.

Thanks for fermenting and loving!

Lynn
Southern Appalachians
rivercaneroundbelli

Postby Bunny Speakman on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Well, I finally started making Natto. I noticed many warnings of like and dislike from the Japanese websites, so I decided to turn my first batch into something I knew I would like. A Hummus look alike and was it good. So good I can't get enough.
Here is my recipe.

1/2 gallon of Natto mashed to a fine consistency ( or blended in a blender
6-8 Tbsp. Lime juice
6 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 Tbsp. Cumin powder
2-3 Tbsp Jalapeno Relish
2 Tbsp. ground garlic
1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce + some sea salt if needed.

mix and use on anything.
Bunny Speakman

Postby elektrogeist on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:31 am

Most any chinese supermarket should have natto in their freezer section, all of it coming from Japan, packaged in tiny styrofoam containers but at least labeled as natto at some place on the package.
I'm going to attempt making natto very soon and will post followup, though supposedly mixing the cultured soybeans with soy sauce and stirring should result in a very stringy-clingy result. So far I have been leaving my prepacked natto out at room temperature 24 hours to "reactivate" and mix in some tamari, roasted sesame seed oil, and chinese red vinegar.
Looking forward to adding this to my fermentation regulars, I've had some remarkable health improvements since beginning even just the commercial natto!
elektrogeist

Postby PhilosopherDog on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:01 pm

I've started making natto. It's very simple. I got the gemculture starter, but am now using a table spoon of ripe natto in hot water as a starter for new batches. You can buy some from a Japanese shop and start it from that. It keeps in the fridge for a long time, but will eventually dry out. Large beans are fine. I brew mine for a minimum of 22 hours in my oven with the oven light and an extra 40 watt bulb. It likes it hot. I also put an open jar of warm water for thermal mass and moisture. Cover the soaked, cooked whole (I steam in a pressure cooker for 15 mins at 15 psi's), and inoculated organic soy beans in a Pyrex plate, cover with foil and poke some small holes. You can start eating it after it is cooled for an hour in the fridge, but it gets better after 3 days of ripening. It's amazing in miso soup. We've been eating it for breakfast with steamed rice, seaweed and shoyu. It's light, filling and amazing food. I intend to post something soon on my blog giving more details and some pictures, perhaps even a youtube thing. Natto is a revolutionary food. No doubt about it.
PhilosopherDog

Postby elektrogeist on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm actually attempting to make some now, using a store bought package placed into a glass with water and sugar added to help "revive" the bacteria. Don't use my oven for cooking so I have it on low heat at 105-110 as a general "incubator" ;) Seems I'm out of soybeans so I'll try making it with other more exotic small Indian legumes which I *do* have plenty of. Who knows, might just be more excellent! Though perhaps more of the health benefit comes from using soybean..
elektrogeist

Return to Legume Ferments