Natto Experts: Where can I find the best starter online?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Natto Experts: Where can I find the best starter online?

Postby danf87 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:22 pm

If you don't mind could you explain why it's the best?
Thanks in advance.
danf87

Re: Natto Experts: Where can I find the best starter online?

Postby tampasailor on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:55 pm

You can use store bought Natto as a starter. Mix up a pack or half a pack with your cooked soybeans and put in a warm place. Actually you can use many kinds of cooked grains or beans even mixed. I use a yogurt incubator and keep it warm for a few days till it gets stringy and then I wrap in plastic and freeze and use as needed. Quite simple really. I have even tried with a can of bbq beans and got slimy funny tasting bbq bean Natto. Its the vitamins' K that I need.

The Natto bacteria spores stay in your gut for a while and make more Ks' from vegetable material especially green leafy vegies that is passing by their special space where they like to be. :D
tampasailor

Postby danf87 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I appreciate the response but I don't have access to natto locally as I live in Peru, however I was wondering who sells the best starter from the two companies who sell online Cultures for Health or Gem Cultures? Maybe you have a better suggestion?
danf87

Postby robo on Tue May 27, 2014 11:14 am

danf87 wrote:I appreciate the response but I don't have access to natto locally as I live in Peru, however I was wondering who sells the best starter from the two companies who sell online Cultures for Health or Gem Cultures? Maybe you have a better suggestion?

Ah, I was going to suggest just using store bought natto as well (I've had success with it, and it seems more economical to get started with) but I guess that won't work for you. Never tried the pure spores as I never had the need.

(But doesn't Peru have a big Japanese community? No Japanese or even general 'Asian' food stores that sell natto?)
robo

Postby renga on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:45 pm

I'd like to know whether it's possible to use frozen natto as starter, as it's the only kind I have access to. I asked on this rather interesting page: http://shizuokagourmet.com/natto-make-it-yourself-recipe/ and the owner responded that it "should" work. Has anyone tried it? Thanks for any help.
renga

Postby fermentedmacro on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:43 pm

I've had great consistent results from Mitoku's "Natto Moto" starter spores. You can find them sold through many places, but Natural Import Company is the direct US importer.
http://www.naturalimport.com/inc/sdetail/6916

Mitoku has other distributors around the world as well, here is a link to their other distributors. http://www.mitoku.com/distributors/index.html

Good luck!
fermentedmacro

Return to Legume Ferments